Friday, December 21, 2012

The End of the World

500px-van_allen_radiation_belt_svg

The World has meant the world to me.  Today is its last day.  Goodbye, World.

But, before I go with the big W, I have to ask these questions:

  • Will “when you go” depend upon which side of the dateline you live on?  I mean will New Zealand exit before India which will exit before Ireland which will exit before New York which will exit before California which will exit before Hawaii? 
  • If that is the case, can I just go to the North Pole and start hopping over the dateline continuously going into the past the same way I retrieved the Ring of Power for Ramana and Ursula’s nuptials? 
  • Is there a danger in doing this of falling off the other side of the Mayan Calendar and developing a pre-existing condition, the condition of not being yet?

4 comments:

  1. It is already the 22nd and all is well with the world. So, your questions are strictly academic. In any case, it is all Maya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder how many people were disappointed when they woke up this morning and discovered that is was a case of the same old, same old....

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Grannymar

    I was about as worried the world would end as I was worried it would end when the calendar rolled to Jan. 1, 2000. There are so many truly delusional people sharing so much that is cockeyed and reinforcing it among themselves now that I find it odd. I think the Internet has just made it more obvious to all that some of our fellow travelers are cracked gourds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Rummuser

    Yes, I have enjoyed the idea of Maya played out beautifully in Plato's analogy of men sitting in a cave with a fire casting their shadow on the wall and taking the shadow as the reality. Maya and Mayans just work so well together!

    Apparently those least likely to think the world would end were the Mayans themselves who remain. I found that to be a delightful irony. The understood it was the beginning of a new cycle, not the end of the world.

    ReplyDelete

If a post is older than 7 days, the comment will go for moderation. Sorry for that inconvenience, but it cuts down on spam and it is much better than Captcha. I promise to check the moderation folder regularly.