Friday, December 21, 2012

The Death of a Dear Friend, Lila Paslay

In Memory of Lila Paslay

I am deeply saddened to tell you about yet another death near us, the death of Lila Paslay, the mother of two of my dearest friends in the world.  She was a terrific secondary teacher, then counselor at the high school and later Executive Director of the Topeka Association for Retarded Citizens.  As with all good people, as impressive as the list may become, the litany of accomplishment is never the full story of their humanity.

When I would go to her house in Topeka while sharing a house with her son, Randy, she would light up and throw together a magnificent meal as though there was nothing to it.  We would eat and talk and share.  She was highly intelligent, full of social grace while being totally genuine.

Last week, she was the picture of health.  Last weekend, she fell and broke her hip.  Then, yesterday, she had an aneurism and died.

Lila, you will be truly missed.

6 comments:

  1. This story filled my eyes, Fossil. I am so sorry for the loss of your friend.
    Blessings ~ Maxi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grieve with you Conrad. May her soul find mukti. Such people are rare indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another leaf may have fallen from your tree of life, Conrad, but each one has touched your heart leaving a special mark. These marks all contributed into making you the special person you now are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Grannymar

    That is very true and very well said, GM. Lila truly touched my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Rummuser

    I am sure that her soul is in warm embrace now, Ramana. She walked a very fine path and I never saw or heard of her faltering in it. She was genuine right to her very core.

    My concern now is to share the grieving with her one remaining son. He is one of my best friends and this is difficult. We have shared the cup of grief before in the loss of his brother who I was very close to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Maxi

    Thank you, Maxi. This has been a very difficult year.

    ReplyDelete

If a post is older than 7 days, the comment will go for moderation. Sorry for that inconvenience, but it cuts down on spam and it is much better than Captcha. I promise to check the moderation folder regularly.