Sunday, December 7, 2014

Emotional Alchemy


Emotion
    1. an affective state of consciousness in which joy, sorrow, fear, hate, or the like, is experienced, as distinguished from cognitive and volitional states of consciousness. 

Alchemy
    1. a form of chemistry and speculative philosophy practiced in the Middle Ages and the Renaissance and concerned principally with discovering methods for transmuting baser metals into gold and with finding a universal solvent and an elixir of life.
    2. any magical power or process of transmuting a common substance, usually of little value, into a substance of great value.
Many Middle Age and Renaissance practitioners, and indeed Sir Isaac Newton a few centuries later, were focused on this quest, the transmutation of base metals to gold.  Why gold?  I venture that it is because of its beauty and malleability coupled with its incorruptability.

My gold wedding ring, seen in the picture above, is an example.  It was able to be shaped into the form desired and I wear it every day with no concern of tarnishing or rusting.  Twenty years from now, it will retain its pure beauty.

Would that I could experience an emotional state like that, eh?  It would be an emotional state that was beautiful and retained that beauty through the day regardless of the corrosive efforts of events and interactions with others.  It would be malleable and formed to fit my core, my individuality, my world experience.

So, this would be the quest of emotional alchemy, the transmutation of base emotions to emotional gold.  It would be a mood elixir, a universal solvent for experienced problems.  There are two fundamental aspects that would need to be answered to find this emotional gold:
  1. What emotional state is this gold?
  2. If we can define that, how do we get there, especially since we said the emotional was not volitional?
Well, I propose that these are two questions that individuals have been trying to answer for themselves since time immemorial.  Selling the answers in various ways has become quite a thriving cottage industry.  Some say the answers are to be found in religion and giving oneself to God.  Some say the answers are in meditation, some in philosophy, some in wealth and acquisition, some in competition, some in withdrawal ...

If you came here for an answer, I fear you'll be disappointed.  I don't think there is a universal answer that can be defined.  But ... every so often ... ah, there it is.  Oh, that golden moment!

How does it appear for you?  Do you have a path of return?

My good friend and fellow Loose Blogger, Ramana Rajgopaul  encouraged me to come back and write a piece, something I haven't found motivation to do for a while.  Good news!  I enjoyed it and that is part of the path to return, so we shall see ...  Go visit the members of our consortium to see what they came up with,  AshokgaelikaaMaxi, and Shackman, good eggs and dear friends all!

3 comments:

  1. I suspect that you already had this piece written and saved somewhere. Perhaps immediately after you suggested the topic. Otherwise to come up with this startling take on the subject using a personal emotional quotient is simply eerie! Any way, it is a great reentry to blogging if this post, which is simply well over anything you had done before you disappeared, is the harbinger for more to come from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliments, but I actually wrote it on the spot Sunday morning. I did stay with the original idea somewhat that I had while suggesting the topic, though.

      I am going to try to fold the weekly writing back into my life. I did enjoy the writing!

      Delete
  2. I find doing these on the spot - or off the cuff as I call it is the best, most honest approach. In my case I tend to over-think the topics if I do them any other way and luckily I can say what I want - usually - without too much trouble. As you are a deeper thinker than I it is no surprise your comments are richer

    ReplyDelete

If a post is older than 7 days, the comment will go for moderation. Sorry for that inconvenience, but it cuts down on spam and it is much better than Captcha. I promise to check the moderation folder regularly.